We’ve all done it. Don’t lie. But I am guilty for this more than most people. Especially when it comes to writing, and I’m talking the story kind.
For years, I have dreamed of writing my own books. It’s all I ever wanted to do with my life, no matter how many different directions my aspirations took. Now that I have actually self-published a story I can say that I’ve started to become a writer. That was over a year ago. And I have done nothing to show since.
Despite how I market myself as a writer, I don’t really do much of the actual writing. Yes, I have my blog, but it’s mostly for reviews and rambles, not actual work. I really want to write more, gosh, I must have at least twenty or more story ideas floating around in my head. There was even a time earlier in the year where I dedicated at least an hour of my day to write in my favourite coffee shop. Since I’ve started working full time, I can’t do that now, but I know that I can still plan and piece stories together.
Every time I talk about how I miss writing, people tell me to do it. It’s a great idea and then I never follow through with it. So, in an effort to get the spark back once again, I’ve come up with some little things I plan to do:
- Carry my writing book with me. Everywhere. Even when I go to the loo. Story ideas can happen anytime, people!
- Record my dreams more. I’m trying to do this now and failing, but some of my most creative and through provoking ideas have stemmed from dreams I’ve had.
- Read more. God dammit Holl, read more books you twat. The whole reason I wanted to be a writer in the first place was because I loved to read books and one day I thought, “yeah, I could do that!” If you want to send me any book recommendations, feel free to in the comments or on social media! You can send me any genre!
- Dedicate time to doing something story related at least once every day. I know it can’t be like a set time because my life is so hectic right now with my work schedule, but if I can just squeeze a bit of character development here and there, I’ll be a happy bean.
- Put more writing up on the blog. There are already some examples of my work on here if you browse the Writing tag and I want to build on that. It can allow me the chance to get some feedback on my WIP’s and let me build upon them in all their glory.
If I don’t hold to these plans, please throw a shoe at my head.